Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Break out the champagne!

And let's toss the bottle straight into the hull of this barely fledgling blog.  Right now I feel like I have moved into a new house: the site is completely barren, and I can almost see tumbleweed blowing through the space where posts ought to be.  I also feel like a kid in a candy store: as my first blog, I'm eagerly exploring the various options that managing such a site entails.  I by and large haven't the slightest idea of what I am doing, but I figure that actually attempting to do it will teach me faster than simply thinking about it.

This blog is currently without a central purpose: I plan to post regular entries here on thoughts I have in my head at the time.  So, you may end up reading strange posts raving about politics or obscure philosophy: while I try not to make comments on politics when I'm ill-informed, I probably will anyway.  I will pull no such punches with philosophical topics, as I believe that the only facts that can be found in the field of philosophy are simply what philosophers have already said.  Some others may post here as well in the future; for now, dear reader, you are stuck with me.



I hope that in the process of writing regularly here the overall theme of this blog will become more defined.  It will of course remain relevant to my interests (as I can hardly write upon those things about which I do not care), but hopefully I will be able to write ideas that may be of interest to you as well.  Despite the admittedly personal nature of the blog, I would love to have a number of readers eventually: I love good discussion, and while I can write down my thoughts all day it is much more fun when somebody else challenges them.  That way I am able to learn new things and think from new perspectives, and I dearly hope that anyone with whom I engage in debate does so as well.  That said, all forms of feedback are nice: sentiments of agreement or approval lead to significant warm fuzzies, and derisive shouts often cause me to laugh.

Now, you may get the idea that this blog is serious.  I ardently hope that it does not become so, because the notion of "serious" somehow runs contrary to having fun and being relaxed.  I know that what I write is not graven upon some holy stone to be held aloft and obeyed without question, and I hope you know that while I write what I think I do not require you to think the same thing.  Hell, if everyone thought as I did I shudder to think of what the world would be like today.  Anyway, I think that this is a sufficient taste of my rambling for my inaugural post.  If you happen to stumble across this jumble of words, in style of Douglas Adams, I apologize for the inconvenience.

2 comments:

Dr. T.L. Sanderfer said...

Congratulations on your new blog! Before you know it you'll have a slew of posts to your name. Good luck!

Lesley said...

Most of the people who comment on politics (on television, in Congress or in real life) are woefully ill-informed. Go for it!